Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why did I pursue a MBA?

In the early 1900s, American universities created the first Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degrees to teach scientist and engineers about business.While the MBA has lost this focus, it remains a popular avenue for people switching careers. In this aspect, I am just one in the herd.

After graduating from North Carolina State in 2000, I have worked in highly technical environments. In my first job, I developed software for a procurement system. In my second job, I worked with a naval contractor building data reporting applications. While I enjoyed both jobs, both left me with the feeling I wanted more. A MBA degree, I decided, would allow me to branch out and explore my entrepreneurial side.

Why the Moore School of Business?

After moving to Charleston, SC in July of 2005, I stumbled upon the Moore School of Business's International MBA program at the University of South Carolina. The program caught my eye because of its international expertise. US News and World Report has ranked the program in the top two for international business for the past 16 years. Other publications have also recognized the school’s quality. The school builds in a four-month language emersion course and a 4-month international internship into the degree.

Given my experience studying in Adelaide, Australia and living in Edinburgh, Scotland, I have established my love for international travel. The Moore School allows me to travel and to get a quality MBA. They had me at hello. Rather than trying a degree online or part-time, I chose to go fulltime.

My fulltime status means I will miss two years of salary and work experience. If I purely considered return on investment, I would have never gone back to school. I am here to expand my horizons and increase my network. I am confident it will payoff in the end.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Kate said...

But... who are you, ThunderD?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home