Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pink is my new Obsession!


I love pink!
Is that shocking?
I love to wear pink shirts, I probably have as many of them as blue or white ones: from salmon colored to mashed raspberries, there is a wide array of pink shirts available. How about pink ties, they also look nice (except on a pink shirt, you just can’t wear the same color or tone on top of each other – yes, I know, Donald Trump does it, but that’s why he is in real estate and not in fashion; and just look at his “hair”).
So what’s the big deal about wearing pink? I’ve worn pink clothes as far as I can remember. Probably it’s more common in Europe for guys to wear pink than it is over here. Or so I thought until a couple of years ago, I visited my best friend in Bulgaria. We were in this shop on the main shopping street, buying shirts at a very cheap price: light blue, white, dark blue… Then I asked my friend to ask the saleswomen (I don’t speak Bulgarian) if they had any pink shirts, and the ladies just started laughing, by the time they were done making fun of me in Bulgarian, I was the one who was pink in the face. It seems that eastern European men do not wear pink. They are masculine guys, you see, therefore they don’t wear pink.
Well, somehow, pink is associated with women, and therefore guys shouldn’t wear it.
Not true. Real guys do wear pink. I even found this article about these cowboys wearing pink for a good cause (“tough guys wear pink!”). For those who know sports, the leader of the Giro d’Italia cycling race wears a pink jersey and the most famous sports newspaper in Italy is printed on pink paper (La Gazzetta dello Sport).
But more importantly, a man wearing pink shows that he is secure about his sexuality, that he is not afraid to wear a color other people might attribute to women. And quite frankly, women like that.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Alex said...

I too have a pink shirt. When moving here I only had enough space in my bag for two shirts. Guess which one made the cut? That's right pink baby!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

There are also lots of pink polo shirts out here in five-points! I think I'm missing out on something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home