Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Santiago

Santiago, Chile May 1, 2007 -- In the last 48 hours, I have been in four countries, thought three immigration checks, crossed over the equator and traveled over 7,000 miles. This is just the start of my trip. I have 109 days before I return to Columbia, SC for fall classes.

So far, Santiago has made a good impression on me. The city has a European feel to it. In comparison to the last four months in Mexico, this culture seems more purposeful and organized. In Mexico, people knew I was a gringo from a mile away. Here, I have already had a few people mistake me for Chilean (although as soon as I open my mouth people know otherwise). The people here have been very open and nice. They are more open to talking politics, particularly Iraq and Bush.

In more than one way, it reminds me of my stay in Edinburgh, Scotland. First, I am living with two guys in a small apartment. Second, the weather is about the same as Scotland (cool and cloudy). Last, I live in the smack dab center of Santiago. I have a strange feeling that this will be a good city for me.

Today is Mayday, so everything is closed and people are walking the street the communist flags. Tomorrow, Anand and I start work at SKM. Brendan will start work with Amigos de Arte.

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Anandha Kumar Deekaram said...

good to see you updating even after tedious work load!!! good work buddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home